Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I'm getting a new board, any advice?

Ok, so i currently have an 8'5'; Circle One board which I love but I think its time to go shorter cos I want to learn how to do more stuff besides just riding a wave into shore. I just joined a surfclub and some of the committee members want me to go for the intervarsities so I wanna make some more progress.





I'm 5'5'; myself and weigh about 135lb. I have my sister's old board too, which is a 6'9'; NSP that I can ride into shore in really good conditions but I'd like to get something a little bigger until I get better.


I was thinking of getting a 7'4'; or 7'6'; approx. My friend reckons a 22'; width too. The board I was recomended is a 7'4'; D'Arcy (south african) At EUR 550 I want to make sure it's the right move before I buy. I don't know much about the tail shapes or nose shapes so any advice on that would be appreciated. Also, suggestions regarding Brands/Shapers would be helpful too.


Thanks!I'm getting a new board, any advice?
If I was you I would check out the shapers in your area. Talk to them. Be totally honest about your ability, They are the best people to advise you. A shop will want to sell you a board they have in the rack. But a shaper will talk you through your needs. Plus you get an imput in to your board. You could go and watch it being shaped.


Good LuckI'm getting a new board, any advice?
Don't be fooled with the size of the board or thinking that you have to get a new (shorter) one. I have an 8'6 and a 7'6 and I LOVE my 8'6!! The rounder the tail, the more moves you'll be able to do. Also, the size of the fin does matter. The larger the fin, the harder it is to turn. Maybe go with a smaller fin.





My 8'6 is a board that my brother shaped, and the 7'6 is from Andy Johnson (local shaper in Dana Point, CA) and it's called ';the egg'; due to it's egg shape.





I should also add that I'm 5'1'; and 150lbs (muscle, not fat)
If you develop a keen interest in surfing to the point that you feel that you will continue for many years to come, you will find yourself riding a number of surfboards throughout the time ahead. Like any sport, part of the fun is trying different types of equipment as you progress. Some will work and others won't. In this manner you will eventually know what works best for you. Please keep in mind that part of this trial and error is part of the fun of the sport.





Now to your question: Being from Hawaii (island of Kauai where Andy and Bruce Irons are from), I am unfamiliar with the type of waves that Ireland has. I presume that the waves are not as powerful as we have here, so a wider and slightly thicker board with a less pointed nose would be in order. Depending on your skill level, a shorter board would definitely allow for more manuveurs. It is also important that you are positive about being ready for a shorter board because there will be a learning curve in adjusting to a shorter board. The more drastic the reduction in length, the greater the learning curve. I would recommend first that you try other boards from the people in your club to see what your comfort level is before you make your decision. Nevertheless, I think that you should try to look into the 7'8'; to 8'0'; range first, with about a 2.75'; to 3'; thickness and about a 20'; to 21'; width. Somehow a 22'; width seems too wide. It will be stable but it will restrict your ability to manuveur unless you have smaller fins for it. Also very important is the weight of the board. A short but heavy board will not be as manuverable as a longer but lighter board. Try to look for a ';mini tank'; as we call it here. It is a reduced version of the long board, but it has the lightness and bottom design of the short board (usually with 3 fins - thruster). I don't know what your budget is, but a lighter board will not last as long as a heavily glassed board. But if you are willing to purchase a board at least once a year or maybe 2 years, then a lighter board will definitely help. An alternative may be epoxy boards which are very light and durable, but expensive and must be repaired quickly because they suck up water like a sponge.





Just keep in mind that the sport is forever evolving and that the fun part is trying the new stuff that comes up as surfing progresses. Best of luck and most of all enjoy the ride of what's ahead.
Get a fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are perfect boards for any condition. They are thick, easy to catch waves, turn easy, and paddle easy. You should get around a 6'2'', 21'' wide, swallow tail, with duel fins. This will really improve your surfing and take it to the next level.


As far as shapers, I personally think local shapers are always better. They will give you exactly what you want would try to mess around with you. I am not sure of what local shapers you have over there or i would reccomend some to you. You should talk to the peolpe in your local surf shop or even ask people out in the water who shaped their board!


see you in the water

No comments:

Post a Comment