Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Hey I am a new Marine wife, advice on coping?

Basically we got married The very beginning of January and he left last week for boot camp for three and a half months. I am having a hard time dealing with it, and i was just looking for advice from maybe other military wives on how they deal? PS - We have a son too and its hard because he is 2 and runs around the house looking for daddy, but dad isn't there.Hey I am a new Marine wife, advice on coping?
Stay busy. Become involved in any programs they may have for Marine wives. Best of luck to you.Hey I am a new Marine wife, advice on coping?
If you live on a base, go to a support group. They will be able to help you the most. You could also take up a hobby to keep your mind off of things.
Does the base you're stationed at have a branch of the Enlisted Spouses Club? That could give you a good social network to be a part of. Having a son also gives you a lot of opportunities to get out and be involved; try spending some time at the CDC, taking him to the park on playdates with other kids, etc.





The one thing you shouldn't do is sit at home and think about it, because that'll drive you nuts.





Good luck!
Congrats,





You'll have an interesting road to travel. Boot camp will change him. Marines are a breed apart, and I've known many. Most of their marriages have lasted well, i think the Marines have a higher marriage retention rate than any other branch of the military.


What you can expect from him once out of boot camp: An EXTREMELY loyal and fierce companion. He'll be very body-proud and quite enthusiastic.


Military life is not easy, but it can be done keeping a marriage intact. Try not to have too many doubts about your future as what he is doing is an HONORABLE thing.


For the three+ months of boot camp: Keep his picture with you always and look at it often. Keep his words and smiles on your mind.


Your Son: he'll adjust, but it'll take time and attention. DO NOT SPOIL HIM by buying him toys and games as a form of filling the daddy void. Keep him busy with things you already have and tell him stories about his daddy.





The three months we'll be over before you know it.





Best wishes, and tell him thanks from me for choosing to protect us all.


-Mark
Hey, I know how you feel. My daughter was 1 1/2 when my husband joined the army. My husband was gone a total of 7 months for his BCT and AIT. It is not easy trying to explain to a child at that age why Daddy isn't there. My daughter would not go near the phone when he called but she loved to ';write'; letters to him and send him pictures of us. I framed a picture of him for her and she took it everywhere with her and even slept with it. Talk about your husband to your son often and tell him how much Daddy loves and misses him and that he will be home soon. Show him lots of pictures of your husband to and if you have any home videos play them, my daughter would get so excited watching ours.


As for how I coped, well that wasn't easy either. I cried a lot, and at first I was afraid to leave the house because I thought I would miss a phone call from my husband and that made me feel worse. Take your son to the park or the pool. Get out of the house as much as possible. Write your husband a letter every day, talk to him in the letter just like you were talking to him. I would tell my husband every thing I did that day. Visit family and friends as much as possible. Take lots of pictures so he has them when he gets home.


I know its hard, but its a big part of the military life and it does get pretty lonely at times. Just keep your chin up, an open mind and communicate with your husband. It does get better with time.


Good Luck to you and yours sweety! God Bless!


*`喈溌?Army Wife*`喈溌? *`27麓*
Since you are still at home you should be spending as much time with family and friends as you can b/c you NEVER know where his next duty station is going to send you...could even be overseas when you dont want it to be....Take this time to have ur son and urself be as close and spend as much time as possible with ur friends and family! I know 3 and 1/2 months seems like forever but knowing that he was going to be military this is something you should have thought of and BOTh discussed before hand...I dont know what his job is in the military but sometimes he may be gone for much longer periods of time and without e-mail and everything else just like now.





For right now i would take pics of u and ur son and write him letters often to let him know that you are thinking of him and he is ur everything....Cause while you are still at ur home he is away from everything and everyone he knows and going thru a huge change! Not sure about what you can send a marine while in boot camp but maybe ask in a letter to him and then send him some of that stuff!





I knwo its hard but lean on ur family and friends. If you live by ANY type of military base try to go and talk to them about getting ur ID and if you have one already then maybe they will be able to direct you to the support Center.





Hope this helps....I am giving you my perspective from both having went to bootcamp myself and then after being stationed far from my family (overseas) meeting the love of my life and him being deployed with no e-mail, letters phone calls, or anything for months at a time due to what he was doing.





And i knew what he was doing and it was VERY dangerous so i was worried sick for long periods of time about what was going on...And i didnt have my family and friends close to just ';get away'; with....





If you ever wanna talk just shoot me an e-mail!
Well, If you live in base you could go to the family support group at fleet service. It sounds like you don't have family or friends near by it is ok though being there still there. Is going to get better when is in short duty stick around
If you keep telling the baby daddy is off and explaine what daddy is doing. Even though he's 2, he'll catch on.





Many years ago, I was a newly married marins wife. I found myself in the middle of the mojave desert alone! I learned to love it it though. It was tough. We didn't have kids, and I was very young and still in party mode, so every weekend it was a party at our house. I got tired of the hired prostututes for the other marines but i had no say in it. we couldn't afford our own home, so we had like 5 other marines living with us.





when they were off on their desert training, I found the peace was real nice! I also made friends with an old lady next door. she helped me in copeing.





make new friends, get a hobby, keep having fun with baby!!


It will be ok. If you keep busy, the time will fly!!
I'm in a really similar situation. I'm a new army wife. We got married at the end of December, and he left last week for basic training- three months, maybe a little longer. I'm not dealing with it so well myself, but I don't envy you with the 2-year-old and him gone. That breaks my heart. I wake up in the middle of the night and look for him for a few seconds before realizing he's in Georgia. I've gotten a couple of phone calls, and he's written letters that haven't arrived yet. Have you heard from your husband? Where's he stationed?
My husband did the same thing last year only he's Army. We also had a 2 year old that was completely lost. He even looked in the refrigerator. I made my son a little scrap book of daddy. I also got the plastic refrigerator picture frames so he could carry daddy around. When my husband called I would record a little of the conversation, even if it was just him telling me what they were doing (the phone calls are short and few) and that he was ok then I would let my son listen to them. Overall with Basic and AIT hubby was gone for 9 months. It's hard my advice to you is to set goals for yourself that you can reach. In the time my husband was gone I managed to lose 20 lbs, stop smoking, hold a 3.5 GPA in my classes, work teach my son his ABC's and how to count to 20. It's hard and you'll miss him. Write him lots of letters they'll love that. Only send pics you don't mind other people (IE drill sergeants) seeing cause they will look unless you print them off on regular paper. Take the time to improve yourself in any area you think you need to improve in. Try to get your son on a really good schedule that will help keep telling him daddy loves him. (My son thought daddy was mad at him for some reason) This can be a great improving time for both of you, as hard as it is take advantage and remember when you first get to live with him, it will be a little strange at first cause they become very independent so the adjustment takes a little time. Be patient and be proud

No comments:

Post a Comment