Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Canon Rebel XSi vs. the new Nikon D5000, advice needed.?

Hi guys. I am looking to get a new dslr. I have some basic experience with photography and I understand the main components such as aperture, shutterspeed, iso, wb etc etc. I have experience with my friends nikon slr and now i'm looking to get my own slr.





There are two cameras I'm considering, the canon rebel XSi and the nikon D5000. I know there is a new rebel T1i but that is too much for me, the D5000 is the top of my budget limit. The D5000 is also 200ish more than the XSi. But I don't like the fact that D5000 won't autofocus on lenses unless they are AF-S, because I want a 50 mm f/1.8 and it won't autofocus on that. But i do like the faster fps, higher iso, build quality and movie mode as a bonus.





Which body would you get and why? Thanks for help.Canon Rebel XSi vs. the new Nikon D5000, advice needed.?
You have answered your own question. The D5000 doesn't have the auto focus motor in the camera body so you have to use the very small selection of Nikon lenses created for it if you want auto focus. All the great Nikon glass, the primes like the 50 1.8 and their top zooms won't work. And you can forget about any of the other brands like Tamron or Sigma.





The D40, D60 and now the D5000 are made for people who are going to leave the camera in full auto mode.





The XSI on the other hand is full featured. It has the same Digic III processor with 14-bit processing as their top of the line cameras. All of the Canon EOS lenses will work. The 50 1.8 is a wonderful lens and it cost about $89. The L series lenses are among the best in the world.





The bottom line is you get access to the entire Canon system as well as other lens makers. Both camera's are going to give you a great image so your choice comes down to personal preference. I'm biased, I shoot with the XSI so keep that in mind.





Tim


http://www.timothylittle.comCanon Rebel XSi vs. the new Nikon D5000, advice needed.?
Tim's answer is full of misinformation. It is very untrue to say that Nikon offers only a ';very small selection'; of lenses created for it. It is outright false to advise the original poster to forget about Tamron and Sigma. D5000 has same image quality as D90, but with an articulating screen.

Report Abuse



i had the same problem about a week ago. but i finally made up my mind and got the rebel sxi. and dude im telling you thats its a freaking sick camera man. im getting into photography myself. and this camera is just perfect. it takes rapid pictures and they all come out clear.





i strongly suggest the rebel. i also couldnt afford the new rebel. but the sxi is so bad *** dude. get it.
I will be honest with you, if your friend uses Nikon and you plan to go shooting together then maybe it would be a good idea to also get a Nikon. You could trade and swap lenses and accessories and he could offer you advice and troubleshoot problems you may have.





As far as the D5000 goes, do not buy it for the movie mode. I have had to explain many times on here how terrible video modes are on DSLR's. No AF so you have to manually focus, you need to be tripod mounted because camera shake is magnified greatly etc etc... I would recommend saving up a bit more for the D90 but if the D5000 is your limit then so be it, it looks like a nice camera.





(How about that, sound Nikon advice and I'm a Canon owner. Not everybody needs to push their own brand on others ;o) )





.

No comments:

Post a Comment