Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Chronic health condition as a new employee. Any advice?

I have been diagnosed with a brain cyst in my left frontal lobe. I am becoming more symptomatic with facial swelling and eyebrow drooping. I never know when migraine activity is going to happen to sometimes full blown migraines. My co-workers see these symptoms in my face often and comment about the swelling under my eyes. It has simply been difficult to hide. I have surgery on the horizon and the consult to see a neuro-surgeon are in process.





I've been on time and work very hard. Mind you, this is retail at Whole Foods vitamins department. I informed my boss of the condition which was not this symptomatic when I applied there a month ago.





I am terribly embarrassed since they had high expectations for me. Now they are informing corporate and the coverage department of the store in the event something should happen which is supposed to be in my best interest. However, I feel like they probably don't want me there with my medical issues.





Can anyone give me advice about how corporations view this? Whether or not I should just level with them and ask if they would like me to resign? I dislike the idea of having to take a leave of absence as a new person in a few months. Any perspectives on this sort of thing--politically speaking? Chronic health condition as a new employee. Any advice?
Take a careful look at the company's HR health related policies. Some companies have a three-month probationary period for which they can let you go ';without cause';. There may also be a waiting period for health insurance (you haven't mentioned whether you need this or not).





Whole Foods is a fairly hard place to get a job. They are known for being a good employer. If you feel really uncomfortable at the local level I would ask to speak with an HR representative from corporate.





This sort of thing happens - people are people. I would definitely NOT resign but I would definitely vocalize my willingness to do whatever I could to work with the company. Tell them that you are eager to contribute and certainly didn't anticipate these issues; the sooner you can get it resolved medically the sooner you can be a real asset to the store.





You might consider buying a pair of just clear lens glasses and wear them to help hide your facial issues. If people ask, just tell them the truth within reason. Chronic health condition as a new employee. Any advice?
do not resign... wait and see if they pay you time off..... take care of yourself...thats whatcorporations are there for to pay your time off... myhusband is a photographer for a big corp and he had cancer surgery and is on 6 mos medical leave

No comments:

Post a Comment